When repairing the riding surface along the Mezhevoy Canal between the administrative building of Sea Port of Saint-Petersburg JSC and the Main Gate of the port, the roadworkers found a cut-stone pavement under the layer of asphalt. The brick-size cobblestone looks like granite and has its properties. The rotary hoes went blunt without leaving any damage signs on the stone. Most probably, it was laid in 1950s when the Mezhevoy Canal finally obtained a status of a “land way”. Earlier, the area currently known as the Gutuyevsky island was a canal built long before the port construction began. It was gradually refilled later, in 1920-50s according to different sources of information.